Unique, full-time permanent position available within a busy, well-established mixed species Veterinary Practice. The ideal candidate will hold a degree (or equivalent) in Bio-Veterinary Science, microbiology or similar.
Job Role: The role involves the running of a small but busy in-house laboratory located at our main practice in Blackmore, Essex. Specifically, operating and maintaining all laboratory equipment for Biochemistry (spectrophotometry), Haematology and I.R.A.P.
This position is the sole Lab technician within a team of approx. 60 staff including Vets, Nurses, Reception and support staff. The role demands attention to detail, organisational skills and excellent communication skills. You will need to be able to communicate well with receptionists, Veterinary Nurses, Veterinary Surgeons and External Laboratories. All results need to be recorded and reported back to Vets for interpretation in a timely and accurate manner.
• Operate and maintain all laboratory equipment for Biochemistry, Haematology and I.R.A.P. Be familiar with normal values for all species in above disciplines and evaluate their relevance.
• Undertake and interpret as required:
a. Fungal investigations
c. Urine analysis
• Undertake and prepare I.R.A.P
• Implement and investigate best practice and most up-to-date available techniques for all of the above.
• Carry out quality control tests on all laboratory equipment, and submit quality control checks on samples examined in-house, as required by Veterinary Standards.
• Keep up-to-date contacts and review their suitability to carry out external testing as required.
• Maintain all record documentation of tests carried out both in-house and at external laboratories. Distribute paperwork to submitting vets.
• Keep adequate supplies of all consumables required for the daily running of the laboratory.
• Keep up-to-date price lists and re-evaluate on an annual basis for tests submitted to external laboratories, plus in-house prices as required.
• Carry out stock take and pricing of stock as required.
• Ensure and arrange regular servicing of essential equipment and maintain service contracts
• Assist in the training of clinical staff to use relevant laboratory equipment out of hours.
Please E-mail your CV to [email protected]
If you are interested in applying for the position please email your CV and covering letter to [email protected].Vetsure Clinic Link